Thursday, September 1, 2011

Start of School

So it has been a few years since I have gotten to experience the first day of school. Something that is completely chaotic and crazy. But, what a thrill. The new clothes, the new friends, the new experiences. What is better than the first day of school? I can’t think of it. Course, I am a teacher and when boredom sets in at the end of Summer and you realize that you actually want school to start. You want the structure of bells to rule your day and the sound of children learning in your classroom. Or, perhaps I am just strange.

There are the downsides to the first day. Not knowing where you need to be, not knowing what you have to do. And then the countless syllabi that are read from class to class to class. As a teacher, I know that by the end of the day I will be sick of reading the same thing over and over six times, but at least the students will know what they have to do and I will probably have the thing memorized.

Right now, I am long term subbing for a college friend who just had her baby yesterday. It is an hour drive here and home, but somehow it seems worth it to be back in the school setting. I guess I never really realized how much I missed it in the first place. But, I am missing my baby also. Such a hard road the life we live today.

Do you remember that feeling? Or are you the mother standing at the door wondering how your baby got so big?

No comments: